lundi 21 janvier 2008

AGILE SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT WITH SCRUM, by Ken Schwaber and Mark Beedle

I read this book to improve our current practices, which are already very close to Scrum.
I particularly appreciated:
  • the emphasis on continuously removing impedents to effective work;
  • the tips to deal with scaling projects, organizations and teams;
  • the comparison between organizations and software. Organizations must emerge and grow in increments, just like software.
  • add all tasks to the backlog, not only the functional requirements. However, each Sprint must contains a functional increment.
  • the fact that requirements remain complicated even if they are understood by the domain and business analysts as long as they are too complicated for the developpers.
However, I do not agree with the fact that code is own forever by the programmer who wrote it. I prefer the collective ownership approach of eXtreme Programming.
Also, I still find that 30 calendar day Sprints are too long ... I prefer shorter iterations, mostly because of the the queueing theory. Smaller items go faster in the workflow. I believe a project will be faster completed if it is managed into shorter iterations.
But, I do really recommend this book. It made me want to read Agile Project Management With Scrum, also written by Ken Schwaber some years later.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire